Genea-Musings readers, and Fb associates, with a protracted reminiscence ought to recall that I used to be very annoyed that I couldn’t TreeShare my RootsMagic 8 household tree database with my present Ancestry Member Tree since I added my present RootsMagic 7 household tree database on 30 September (the day RootsMagic 8 was launched). RM8 stated my database was linked to my present Ancestry Member Tree however I used to be unable to make use of TreeShare. I additionally had no Ancestry Net Hints.
Over the previous six weeks, quite a few RootsMagic customers with a household tree database with greater than about 15,000 individuals have been unable to TreeShare with their present Ancestry Member Tree. There have been many discussions within the RootsMagic Customers Group on Fb and not using a decision to the issue. TreeShare utilizing RootsMagic 7 continues to be accessible after a repair in early October.
Over the previous six weeks, I’ve added new content material to my RootsMagic 8 database (new profiles and new dates, locations, notes, media, sources, and many others. to present profiles) to the extent that I couldn’t return to RootsMagic 7 as a result of I might lose lots of database data via a GEDCOM switch to RootsMagic 7.
1) I need to use my RootsMagic 8 database to generate net hints and to make use of it for my AncestryDNA matches. So I bit the bullet yesterday, and:
* Disconnected my RM8 file with the present Ancestry Member Tree.
* Clicked “Reset TreeShare” within the “Settings > WebHints” setting.
* Uploaded my RM 8 file utilizing “Publish > Ancestry TreeShare” and choosing so as to add a New Ancestry Member Tree. That took about 3.5 hours for my 66,000 profile tree with over 1,000 media gadgets, but it surely labored.
* After I edited a profile, and added some knowledge (identify, dates, locations, notes, sources, media, and many others.), TreeShare labored for me. And I had some WebHints. Yay!
2) Right here is the TreeShare display earlier than I moved knowledge from RootsMagic to the brand new Ancestry Member Tree:
On the display above, I’ve checked the field within the higher left to “Solely present modified folks.” The names of the modified folks for the reason that final TreeShare are within the left-hand column. The RootsMagic knowledge for the chosen individual is within the center column. The present Ancestry Member Tree knowledge is within the right-hand column. Comparable knowledge is proven in inexperienced and totally different knowledge is proven in pink. If I want, I can go edit the RootsMagic individual utilizing the “Edit RootsMagic Individual” button, or present the Ancestry profile in a browser window utilizing the “Present on Ancestry” button.
I nearly all the time add data to my RootsMagic profiles by hand after which add the individual particulars to the Ancestry Member Tree utilizing TreeShare in order that my RM8 tree and my AMT tree are synchronized. I do not carry knowledge from Ancestry into RootsMagic as a result of the media goes right into a particular folder the place I can not discover it and the Ancestry sources usually are not in normal format.
On the display above, I need to change the wedding data for this profile on Ancestry, so by clicking the left carat (>) within the RootsMagic column I see:
3) I’ve to decide on between “Add as new document on Ancestry,” “Replace present occasion on Ancestry,” or “Delete occasion from RootsMagic.” I selected to replace the present occasion on Ancestry and noticed the Replace panel:
On this display, I clicked on the Date and Place test packing containers after which the “OK” button so as to add them to the Ancestry profile.
One factor I seen was that I couldn’t click on on the test field column to test the entire gadgets like in RootsMagic 7 – now RM8 requires extra mouse clicks typically.
Right here is the TreeShare display reflecting the modified data:
Word that the modified data is mirrored within the Ancestry column in blue font.
4) Right here is the Ancestry Member Tree profile for this individual with the up to date marriage date and place:
5) This course of appears onerous with many clicks with a purpose to clarify it, however I often do 3 or 4 of them in a minute. Final evening, I TreeShared 17 profiles in 5 minutes. It helps to have lots of expertise, and a secure workflow, to make use of TreeShare.
On this manner, I can take File Hints and family tree and household historical past knowledge from any on-line document supplier and/or archive, enter it into RootsMagic in the course of the day, and replace my Ancestry Member Tree every day.
I am blissful to be again within the routine of utilizing TreeShare and can most likely attempt to use it day by day relatively than weekly (previously, I typically had 200 or 300 profiles to do every week and it typically took an hour or extra). With a day by day routine, I can do 30 modified profiles in lower than 10 minutes, which looks as if a greater use of my accessible time.
The one disadvantage for me with the brand new Ancestry Member Tree is that I haven’t got the earlier provide of Net Hints. Nonetheless, I am nonetheless working my manner via File Hints within the earlier AMT which has over 156,000 File Hints. However now I’ve to test File Hints from this new AMT too.
The URL for this put up is: https://www.geneamusings.com/2021/11/rootsmagic-version-8-progress-in.html
Powered by WPeMatico