It was a busy and thrilling 12 months for the Wyner Household Jewish Heritage Middle (JHC). In a belated celebration of the eight nights of Hanukkah, which started November 28 and ended on December 6, listed here are our high eight achievements for the 12 months!
1. After the pandemic postponed what was meant to be the primary annual convention in March 2020, the JHC hosted an internet occasion to launch the New England Jewish Historical past Collaborative in January 2021. A partnership between Jewish historical past organizations in all six New England states, together with the JHC, the collaborative created an internet site and useful resource information for researchers focused on New England Jewish historical past. Go to the website and keep tuned for extra programming in 2022.
2. In March, Dr. Melissa R. Klapper was chosen because the JHC’s inaugural Genevieve Geller Wyner Analysis Fellow. Dr. Klapper visited the archive in June to conduct analysis within the JHC’s collections for her e-book, At Dwelling within the World: American Jewish Girls Overseas, 1865-1940. She then gave a captivating discuss her analysis within the Genevieve Geller Wyner Annual Lecture in October, which you’ll be able to watch here should you missed it. Functions are actually open for the 2022 Fellowship; go to our website to study extra.
3. In June, we held an internet gala celebration of the JHC’s tenth anniversary of partnership with the New England Historic Genealogical Society/American Ancestors. Along with a video retrospective and congratulations from neighborhood leaders, the occasion honored Margot Strom, the visionary founding father of Dealing with Historical past and Ourselves, with the Tzedakah Lifetime Achievement Award, and featured her in dialog along with her son, Adam, about their household historical past and dedication to social justice. Margot was additionally introduced with the JHC Tzedakah award.
Many due to our beneficiant supporters for persevering with to champion the work of the JHC and serving to place us for fulfillment within the subsequent ten years!
4. In August 2021 the JHC efficiently accomplished its tenth anniversary fundraising marketing campaign. Many due to our beneficiant supporters for persevering with to champion the work of the JHC and serving to place us for fulfillment within the subsequent ten years!
5. In September, the JHC acquired funding from Mass. Humanities’ “Increase Massachusetts Tales” initiative for Jewish Neighborhood Voices, an oral historical past venture and on-line exhibit concerning the former Jewish immigrant neighborhoods of Dorchester, Roxbury, Chelsea, and Lynn. In December, we had been awarded a further grant from Mixed Jewish Philanthropies for a similar venture.
6. Additionally in September 2021, the JHC was honored to obtain a management reward from supporter Richard Schilder to fund a Historian in Residence place. The Historian in Residence place will develop packages, displays, and articles based mostly on JHC collections, and can launch in fall 2022.
7. In October, Action for Post-Soviet Jewry donated greater than 100 bins of data to the JHC. This necessary assortment paperwork the very important efforts of this humanitarian support group, which supplies meals, drugs, clothes, and different support to Jews nonetheless in former Soviet international locations, notably within the Ukraine. JHC workers is presently engaged on processing the gathering so it’s out there to researchers, and hopes finally to digitize it to make this historical past broadly accessible.
8. In November, we launched a brand new website with enhanced search options and topic guides, and a brand new video library characteristic.
Keen on studying extra concerning the JHC? You possibly can join our mailing list to be among the many first to learn about information and occasions; go to our Collections web page to study extra about our archives; or comply with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Right here’s to 2022!