You need to use GEDmatch, however you should add a household tree with residing individuals. How do you go about privatizing your data in that GEDcom file?
This submit provides you the highlights on do it. Make certain you watch the video linked beneath to see do all of the steps
Step 1: Obtain your Household Tree From Different Platforms
Every family tree web site is completely different, so use the next hyperlinks to discover ways to obtain a GEDcom file of your loved ones tree from:
- FamilySearch – According to the FamilySearch website, “a GEDCOM file can’t be exported instantly from FamilySearch Household Tree. Nonetheless, you should use companion applications of FamilySearch to get the info from FamilySearch Household Tree, after which create a GEDCOM file in these applications.”
- WikiTree – as an alternative of downloading your tree from Wiki, you possibly can hyperlink your WikiTree to GEDmatch. This video explains how.
↪️ Confused about DNA and family tree?
,,Grab your copy of this FREE DNA information:
Privatize the Residing With RootsMagic
As soon as you’ve got downloaded your family tree to RootsMagic, you will need to privatize the details about residing people. There are two methods to do that in RootsMagic
1. Let RootsMagic Do it For You
2. Privatize the Info Manually
Let RootsMagic Mechanically Privatize Residing Individuals
With the file you want to switch to GEDmatch, do the next in RootsMagic:
- Click on on “File” on the left panel.
- Click on “Export Information.”
- Choose “GEDcom file.”
- Choose the vacation spot for the file to be saved to your laptop.
- Title because the file.
On the GEDcom choice display screen, select the next choices:
- Unselect sources, notes, addresses, multimedia hyperlinks
- Choose “Privatize residing individuals.”
- Selected “Residing” for the Names Choice
- Select one of many following for the Details Choice
- Full date and place.
- Do not print any details.
- Date solely
- Place solely
- Yr solely
- Yr and place.
- Notice: Select the one that you just and your loved ones would really feel probably the most snug with.
- Click on “OK.”
RootsMagic makes a file that you would be able to then add to GEDmatch.
This video demonstrates each strategies to denationalise residing individuals utilizing RootsMagic. It additionally exhibits add your GEDcom file to GEDmatch.
Manually Change Profiles of Residing in RootsMagic
For full directions on how to edit a profile in RootsMagic 8.
Take away all figuring out particulars, by deleting details and altering an individual’s title to Residing.
How do you shortly discover all of the residing individuals in your loved ones tree?
- Click on on “Search” within the facet menu.
- Click on on the icon of the magnifying glass with an individual inside and the plus signal exterior. While you hover over that icon it says, “Search Advance.”
- Click on the “Discover” button.
- Within the first “Choose subject” dropdown, select “residing flag.”
- Select “is True” within the third field on that row.
- Click on “OK.”
You then may even see an inventory within the right-side panel of people who find themselves residing.
- Click on on every individual’s to focus on it.
- Click on the “Go To” button to open their profile.
- Manually edit the profiles to denationalise the residing individual’s data.
After finishing this course of, repeat the steps for Exporting the GEDmcom file, as talked about above. Besides, uncheck the field beside “Privatize residing individuals.”
↪️ Do you need to dive even deeper into genetic family tree,
writing household histories, and climbing your loved ones tree? Be a part of the
FHF Xtra Premium Membership and get a wealth of unique content material.
Importing your GEDcom file to GEDMatch
To add your loved ones tree to GEDmatch, you first must log in. Then do the next:
- Scroll down the house web page till you discover the Household Timber in the appropriate menu.
- Click on on “Add a GEDcom quick.”
On the subsequent display screen, enter the next data.
Title the GEDcom – This may be no matter you need. It may be the identical title you named the file. It may very well be one thing extra user-friendly.
Choose the Equipment – Choose what equipment quantity for the first individual on the GEDcom. Who was the beginning individual for the household tree to construct up from? For genetic family tree analysis, this may possible be your self. So, what’s your equipment quantity for the DNA take a look at you uploaded to GEDmatch?
Are all 4 of your grandparents are from the identical place? If sure, test the field. If not, uncheck the field. If unknown, go away the field unchecked.
Privateness – Test the field that confirms that you’ve got privatized the residing individuals in your loved ones tree. You possibly can verify this since you did this with RootsMagic, as defined above.
Select the GEDcom File to Add – Subsequent, select the GEDcom file out of your laptop that you will add to GEDmatch.
After finishing all of these steps, you possibly can click on “Add.”
Relying on how massive of a file you have got it could take a while to truly add every little thing.
As soon as completed, you will see a hit web page and it’ll let you know who the very first individual is. It’s going to then possible say their title is “Residing.”
If the Add GEDcom quick fails, then attempt the alternate add. That is useful for very giant household bushes. However one of the best recommendation is to pair down your GEDcom information to solely the necessities and add that.
For extra recommendations on utilizing GEDmatch, take a look at these weblog posts: