Hawaii is without doubt one of the states that doesn’t have a single central on-line state repository for looking out historic newspapers, however they use the Library of Congress Chronicling America web site as their foremost web site for looking out previous newspapers, and there are a few different giant collections. There are some free on-line newspapers on different websites and collections out there on subscription websites. Under is an inventory of the place the titles are saved and the hyperlink so that you could entry them.
There are about 500 newspapers which were printed within the Aloha state – definitely not all of them are searchable on-line. However there are a number of which are certainly out there. So go for it – discover your Hawaii ancestors and all of the fascinating articles that seize the tales of their lives.
Please be aware that I’ve not at all times entered the dates which are included within the collections, as I think they may change as extra gadgets are digitized. Additionally I think that a few of these hyperlinks could change over time – so if there’s a lifeless hyperlink – please use your favourite search engine to search out their new location.
(Up to date November 2021; not too long ago added hyperlinks are in BOLD)
- Hilo, Hawaii, 1895-1917 – Hilo tribune.
- Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii, 1840-1841 – The Polynesian.
- Honolulu [Hawaii, 1899-190? – Austin’s Hawaiian weekly.
- Honolulu [Hawaii, 1902-1911 – The Honolulu times.
- Honolulu [Hawaii], 1882-1895 – The Daily bulletin.
- Honolulu [Oahu, Hawaii, 1895-1912 – Evening bulletin.
- Honolulu [Oahu, Hawaii, 1912-current – Honolulu star-bulletin.
- Honolulu [Oahu, Hawaii], 1865-1918 – The Hawaiian gazette.
- Honolulu [Oahu], 1893-1912 – The Hawaiian star.
- Honolulu [Oahu], Hawaii, 1844-1864 – Polynesian.
- Honolulu, 1891-1895 – Hawaii holomua.
- Honolulu, 1893-1895 – Hawaii holomua = Progress.
- Honolulu, H.I., 1880-1885 – Saturday press.
- Honolulu, H.I., 1895-1895 – The Independent.
- Honolulu, H.I., 1895-1905 – The Independent.
- Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands, 1856-1888 – The Pacific commercial advertiser.
- Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands, 1885-1886 – Daily Honolulu press.
- Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands, 1885-1921 – The Pacific commercial advertiser.
- Honolulu, Hawaiian Islands, 1886-1887 – The daily herald.
- Honolulu, T.H., 1900-1902 – The Honolulu republican.
- Honolulu, T.H., 1910-1910 – The Democrat.
- Lihue, Kauai, H.T., 1902-current – The Garden Island.
- Wailuku, Maui, H.I., 1900-current – The Maui news.
Google Information Archive
- Ke Aloha Aina Oiaio – 1896-1897
- Ke Au Hou – July 1910 – January 1912
- Ke Au Okoa – April 24, 1865 – June 5, 1865
- Hawaii Holomua – 1912
- Ka Hoku o ka Pakipika – September 23, 1861 – Might 14, 1863
- Ke Kilohana o ka Malamalama – 1907 – 1919
- Ka Lama Hawaii – February 14, 1834 – December 26, 1834
- Ka Lanakila – July 1, 1909 – October 21, 1909
- Ka Lei Momi – June 21, 1893 – September 22, 1893
- Ka Lei Momi e Mau Kou Olino Ana – August 5, 1893 – December 25, 1893
- Ka Leo o ka Lahui – 1889-1896
- Ka Loea Kalaiaina – 1897-1900
- Ka Makaainana – 1887-1899
- Ka Manawa – November 7, 1870 – December 12, 1870
- Ka Na’i Aupuni – 1905-08
- Ka Nupepa Kuokoa – 1861-1927
- Ahailono a ka Lahui
- Hawaii Holomua
- Hawaii Holomua
- House Rula Republalika
- Honolulu Occasions
- Ka Elele
- Ka Hae Hawaii
- Ka Hoku Loa
- Ka Hoku o Hawaii
- Ka Hoku o ka Pakipika
- Ka Holomua
- Ka Lahui Hawaii
- Ka Lama Hawaii
- Ka Lanakila
- Ka Lau Oliva
- Ka Lei Momi
- Ka Lei Rose o Hawaii
- Ka Leo o ka Lahui
- Ka Makaainana
- Ka Manawa
- Ka Naʻi Aupuni
- Ka Nonanona
- Ka Nupepa Elele
- Ka Nupepa Kuokoa
- Ka Nupepa Puka la Aloha Aina
- Ka Nupepa Puka la ko Hawaii Pae Aina
- Ka Oiaio
- Ke Alahou
- Ke Alakai O Hawaii
- Ke Alakai o Hawaii
- Ke Alakai o Hawaii
- Ke Alaula
- Ke Aloha Aina
- Ke Aloha Aina Oiaio
- Ke Au Hou
- Ke Au Okoa
- Ke Kiai
- Ke Kilohana o ka Malamalama
- Ke Koo o Hawaii
- Ke Kumu Hawaii
- Ko Hawaii Pae Aina
- Ko Hawaii Ponoi
- Kuokoa House Rula
- Kuu Hae Hawaii
- O ka Hae Katolika
- Puuhonua o na Hawaii
- The Liberal
College of Hawaii eVols Newspaper Assortment
- O Luso Hawaiiano August 1885 to December 1890
- Aurora Hawaiiana [Hawaiian Dawn] August 1889 to March 1891
- A Uniao Lusitana Hawaiiana. March 1892 to February 1896
- A Sentinella [Sentinel] 1892 to 1896
- O Luso February 1896 to October 1897, October 1910 to Jan. 1920
- A Setta [Arrow] 1903 to 1921
- O Well-liked July 1911 to January 1913
- O Facho [The Torch]
- Ang Banagbanag
- Filamerican Tribune
- Filipino Herald of Hawaii
- Hawaii Filipino Information (Biano)
- Hawaii Filipino Information (Cariaga)
- Hawaii Filipino Information
- Hawaii Press (Hawaii Filipino Information)
- Hawaiian Reporter
- New Filamerican
- New Philippines
- P.I. Commonwealth Chronicle
- Pacific Courier
- Pacific Put up Information
- Philippine Commonweath Chronicle
- Philippine Information Tribune
- The Impartial
- Ti Managservi
- Ti Mangiturong
- Ti Progresibo
- Ti Pudno (The Fact)
- Ti Silaw (The Gentle)
- Ti Timek Ti Vibora Luviminda (The Voice of Vibora Luviminda)
Chaminade College – Honolulu
Hawaii Pacific College – Honolulu
Honolulu Neighborhood School – Honolulu
Kapi`olani Neighborhood School – Honolulu
Kauai Neighborhood School – Puhi
Leeward Neighborhood School – Pearl Metropolis
College of Hawaii – Hilo
College of Hawaii – Manoa
College of Hawaii – West Oahu
Windward Neighborhood School – Kaneohe
Miscellaneous Collections and Indexes:
- Hawaii Resistance Notes
- Liberated Barracks
Bob Krauss Research Index – an index of English-language newspapers from Hawaiʻi, 1840-1944
- Each day Bulletin (344 index entries)
- Hawaiian Star (2,682 index entries)
- Honolulu Advertiser (990 index entries)
- Honolulu Star-Bulletin (8,792 index entries)
- Pacific Industrial Advertiser (29,388 index entries
- Polynesian (11,621 index entries)
- Night Bulletin (8 index entries)
- Good friend (21 index entries)
- Hawaiian Gazette (4 index entries)
- Hilo Each day Tribune (18 index entries)
- Maui Information (105 index entries)
- Honolulu Star Bulletin
- Honolulu Advertiser
Japanese American Historic Newspapers Assortment
- Gyōshō / 鐘暁, (Honolulu, HI)
- Hawai Asahi / 布哇朝日 [The Hawaii Asahi], (Hilo, HI)
- Hawai Bun’en / 布哇文苑 [The Hawaii Bunen], (Honolulu, HI)
- Hawai Mainichi / 布哇毎日 [The Hawaii Mainichi], (Hilo, HI)
- Hawai Nichi Nichi Shinbun / 布哇日日新聞 [The Hawaiian – Japanese Daily Chronicle], (Honolulu, HI)
- Hawai Sandi Nyūsu / 布哇サンディ・ニュース [The Hawaii Sunday News], (Hilo, HI)
- Hawai Shinbun / 布哇新聞 [The Hawaii Shimbun], (Honolulu, HI)
- Hawai Shinpō / 布哇新報 [The Hawaii Shinpo], (Honolulu, HI)
- Hawai Shokumin Shinbun / 布哇植民新聞 [The Hawai Shokumin Shinbun], (Hilo, HI)
- Hawai Shōgyō / 布哇商業 [The Hawaii Shogyo], (Hilo/Honolulu, HI)
- Hawai Sutā / ハワイスター [The Hawaii Star], (Honolulu, HI)
- Hawaii Times / 布哇タイムス, (Honolulu, HI)
- Hiro Shinpō / ヒロ新報 [The Hilo Shinpo], (Hilo, HI)
- Honoruru Shinbun / ほのる々新聞 [Honolulu News], (Honolulu, HI)
- Jitsugyō no Hawai / 實業之布哇 [The Jitsugyo no Hawaii], (Honolulu, HI)
- Kawai Shinpō / 加哇新報 [The Kauai Shinpo], (Līhuʻe, HI)
- Kazan / 火山 [The Volcano], (Honolulu, HI)
- Kona Hankyō / コナ反響 [The Kona Echo], (Holualoa, Kona, HI)
- Maui Rekōdo / 馬哇レコード [Maui Record], (Wailuku, HI)
- Maui Shinbun / 馬哇新聞 [Maui Shimbun], (Wailuku, HI)
- Nihon Shūho / 日本週報 [Japanese Weekly News], (Honolulu, HI)
- Nippu Jiji / 日布時事 [The Nippu Jiji], (Honolulu, HI)
- Rakuen / 楽園 [The Paradise], (Hilo, HI)
- Shūkan Hawai Shinpō / 週刊布哇新報 [The Weekly Hawaii], (Honolulu, HI)
- Yamato / やまと [The Yamato], (Honolulu, HI)
- Yamato Shinbun / やまと新聞 [The Yamato Shimbun], (Honolulu, HI)
- Hawai Purantēshon Kuronikuru / 布哇プランテーションクロニクル [Hawaii Plantation Chronicle], (Honolulu, HI)
- Labor Review of Hawaii, (Honolulu, HI)
- Maco Breeze, (Paia, HI)
- Voice of Labor, (Honolulu, HI)
- Hawai Mikkyō / 布哇密教 [Hawaii Mikkyo], (Honolulu, HI)
- Hōyū / 法友, (Honolulu, HI)
- Kōjō / 向上 [The Kojyo], (Kealakekua, HI)
- Kyōdan Jihō / 教團時報 [Buddhist Child], (Honolulu, HI)
- Kazan Shinbun / 火山新聞 [The Kwazan], (Hilo, HI)
- Yōen Jihō / 洋園時報 [The Yoen Jiho], (Koloa, HI)
For Obituary Indexes, transcriptions, and different demise/obituary data from historic newspapers, please try the Obituaries web page.
Different Free Websites:
Subscription or Pay Websites:
There are at present 19 publications out there at this web site. See all of the titles at Ancestry – Hawaii Newspapers
Family tree Financial institution:
There are at present 65 publications out there at this web site. See all of the titles at Genealogy Bank – Hawaii Newspapers
There’s at present 62 publications out there at this web site. See all of the titles at Newspaper Archive – Hawaii
There are at present 24 publications out there at this web site. See all of the titles at Newspapers.com – Hawaii
You additionally want to go to the Newspapers in Hawaii web site, which may let you know what is going on within the state with regard to newspaper tasks. One other searchable database for printed newspapers (not essentially on-line) is The Hawaiian Historical Society – Helen Chapin’s Guide to Newspapers of Hawaii, 1834-2000.
Please be aware – much more could also be out there by way of an area library the place a library card is required. And naturally there may be at all times microfilm for those who haven’t been made out there on-line as but.
Good Luck and Completely satisfied Searching!
For extra hyperlinks for various states, provinces, and nations – please see the Newspaper Links web page on this web site.
For different Free Hawaii Hyperlinks, click on on the class of curiosity:
Probate and Wills