Mortuary and Funeral House information are yet one more little used useful resource by family tree researchers. They’re troublesome to acquire, particularly in arduous copy from the unique funeral residence. You’ll be able to contact them, however usually, mortuaries went out of enterprise, or had been offered to a different firm. And most of the authentic information have been misplaced or destroyed.
By no means worry although, there are a variety of mortuary information which were digitized and made accessible on-line.
On-line report collections can be found from subscription websites reminiscent of Ancestry.com and My Heritage.
However there are different state and native collections accessible as properly, and a few of them are indexes solely (from ledger books). And a few are free and accessible on-line!
Listed here are some articles that will entice you to analysis Mortuary and Funeral House information:
- FamilySearch – Funeral Home Records
- Finding Funeral Home Records for Your Ancestors
- Funeral Home Records: Telling Stories of the Dearly Departed
- 15 Reasons Why Searching Mortuary and Funeral Home Records Is a Gold Mine!
Have you ever ever checked out a mortuary report? There’s an abundance of nice info accessible! Here’s a record of a number of the info on such a report, in addition to the model and value of the casket:
- Identify of informant and individual paying for the service
- Explanation for loss of life
- Handle of the deceased
- Burial location “to be”
- In some circumstances – the title of the daddy and mom
- Identify of attending doctor in addition to hospital or place of loss of life
- Date of start
- Date of loss of life
- Date of deliberate burial
- Obituary from a number of newspapers
- Beginning Place
- Marital Standing
- Plus rather more
Beneath are hyperlinks to collections which are on-line and accessible without cost. Bear in mind that some collections have full mortuary information, some are glorified loss of life indexes, and a few are simply indexes to the precise mortuary information.
Notice 1: Most of the hyperlinks listed under take you to a FamilySearch Assortment of digital pictures. Close to the underside of the web page below Movie/Digital Notes is the title of every sub-collection. If there’s a digicam icon on the proper of the title (within the Format column) then the collections’ pictures are browsable. If there’s a digicam with a key icon, it’s only accessible at a Household Historical past Middle or affiliated library. If there’s a movie reel icon, then it’s only accessible in microfilm format, not digital.
- Sadly, I’ve not as but discovered any free on-line mortuary and funeral residence information for Hawaii
Good Luck and Pleased Looking!