One of many major objectives for genealogists is discovering marriage details about their ancestors.
Over the previous few many years, because of volunteers, librarians and archivists, a large number of indexes to marriage collections have been supplied without spending a dime on-line. These searchable indexes present particular marriage license, bond, and certificates info, and generally scanned pictures of the particular marriage paperwork themselves. These free on-line collections have tons of of tens of millions of information in them in complete.
There are a large number of on-line and offline collections which will embrace marriage info that aren’t included within the lists beneath. These differing types may be present in 22 Ways to Find Ancestors Marriage Information.
The lists beneath are particular marriage indexes and document collections which are accessible without spending a dime on-line for the District of Columbia.
Observe 1: Most of the hyperlinks listed beneath take you to a FamilySearch Assortment of digital pictures. In lots of instances there’s a hyperlink to the digital assortment in the course of the web page, but additionally close to the underside of the web page beneath Movie/Digital Notes is the title of every sub-collection. If there’s a digital camera icon on the proper of the title (within the Format column) then the collections’ pictures are browsable. If there’s a digital camera with a key icon, it’s only accessible at a Household Historical past Heart or affiliated library. If there’s a movie reel icon, then it’s only accessible in microfilm format, not digital. Please additionally be aware that I’ve listed beneath solely databases which are accessible digitally out of your pc (or pill/telephone)
Observe 2: I’ve included hyperlinks to Free Ancestry information and indexes. You do not want a subscription, however do want an Ancestry account. With no subscription you possibly can view indexes. If there may be a picture related to a document, usually you’ll need a subscription, however the index does embrace very usable info.
(Up to date November 2021; just lately added hyperlinks are in BOLD):
- Alexandria County, District of Columbia Marriages Bonds, 1801-1822, and Minister’s Returns
- Blacks in the Marriage Records of the District of Columbia, Dec. 23, 1811 – June 16, 1870
- DC Births, Marriages, and Deaths
- District of Columbia Genealogical collection, ca. 1700-1900
- District of Columbia Marriages, 1811-1950
- District of Columbia Marriages, 1830-1921
- Freedman’s Bureau Marriages
- Freedmen Marriage Records, Washington DC 1861-1869
- Historical Court Records of Washington, District of Columbia
- Miscellaneous BMD Records by County
- National Intelligencer Extracts of Marriages and Deaths 806 – 1858
- United States Marriages, 1733-1990
- United States, Freedmen’s Bureau Marriages, 1861-1872
- Washington DC Church Vital Records (click on Folder Icon)
- Washington DC Jewish Marriages
- Washington DC Marriage Records
- Washington DC Marriages
- Washington, D.C List of Marriage Certificates in the county of Alexandria in the District of Columbia, 1801-1850
Good Luck and Joyful Looking!
For different Free DC Hyperlinks, click on on the class of curiosity:
Probate and Wills