Mortuary and Funeral Dwelling information are one more little used useful resource by family tree researchers. They’re tough to acquire, particularly in onerous copy from the unique funeral house. You possibly can contact them, however typically, mortuaries went out of enterprise, or have been bought to a different firm. And most of the unique information have been misplaced or destroyed.
By no means worry although, there are a selection of mortuary information which have been digitized and made accessible on-line.
On-line document collections can be found from subscription websites comparable to Ancestry.com and My Heritage.
However there are different state and native collections accessible as properly, and a few of them are indexes solely (from ledger books). And a few are free and accessible on-line!
Listed below are some articles which will entice you to analysis Mortuary and Funeral Dwelling information:
- FamilySearch – Funeral Home Records
- Finding Funeral Home Records for Your Ancestors
- Funeral Home Records: Telling Stories of the Dearly Departed
- 15 Reasons Why Searching Mortuary and Funeral Home Records Is a Gold Mine!
Have you ever ever checked out a mortuary document? There’s an abundance of nice data accessible! Here’s a checklist of a number of the data on such a document, apart from the model and price of the casket:
- Title of informant and particular person paying for the service
- Reason behind loss of life
- Handle of the deceased
- Burial location “to be”
- In some instances – the identify of the daddy and mom
- Title of attending doctor in addition to hospital or place of loss of life
- Date of start
- Date of loss of life
- Date of deliberate burial
- Obituary from a number of newspapers
- Delivery Place
- Marital Standing
- Plus rather more
Under are hyperlinks to collections which are on-line and accessible totally free. Remember that some collections have full mortuary information, some are glorified loss of life indexes, and a few are simply indexes to the precise mortuary information.
Notice 1: Most of the hyperlinks listed beneath take you to a FamilySearch Assortment of digital pictures. Close to the underside of the web page beneath Movie/Digital Notes is the identify of every sub-collection. If there’s a digital camera icon on the proper of the identify (within the Format column) then the collections’ pictures are browsable. If there’s a digital camera with a key icon, it is just accessible at a Household Historical past Middle or affiliated library. If there’s a movie reel icon, then it is just accessible in microfilm format, not digital.
- Juneau, C. W. Young Company Mortuary, Funeral Records, Juneau, Alaska, 2 January 1898 thru 20 March 1964
Good Luck and Completely happy Searching!