That is the third publish in a sequence of exploring RootsMagic 8, which was launched on 30 September 2021. The overview publish is at Exploring RootsMagic 8 – #1 – the Main Screens.
I imported my RootsMagic 7 household tree, which is synced with my Ancestry Member Tree utilizing RootsMagic TreeShare, and I’m utilizing it for this sequence of posts.
1) In Submit #2, I added a Burial Truth to the profile of Abraham Seaver (1787-1864). The display screen regarded like this:
The added Burial Truth is proven within the left facet vane of the Folks display screen, and the Burial Truth info is proven on the correct facet pane of the Folks display screen as a result of that Truth is highlighted on the left facet pane.
2) I wish to add a supply for this Burial Truth. There’s a Discover A Grave memorial for Abraham Seaver (1787-1864), who’s buried in Higher Cemetery in Phillipston Worcester County, Massachusetts.
So as to add the Supply, I must click on on the area within the Supply column (the second one of many 5 columns on the correct facet of the left facet pane of the Folks display screen. Once I try this, the “Sources” pane seems in the correct facet pane:
There are two decisions – “Add supply quotation” or “Paste quotation.” I have already got a “Grasp Supply” for Discover a Grave, however as a result of I haven’t got a quotation but for this particular Truth, I’ll select “Add supply quotation.”
3) The “Choose supply” pane opened and the cursor was already within the Search area on the high proper of this pane.
I began typing “Discover a” and the number of Grasp Sources appeared within the “Supply” column. I selected the primary “Discover A Grave (web site)” grasp supply. Then I clicked the “Subsequent” button on the backside proper of the “Choose Supply” pane:
4) As proven above, the “Edit Quotation” pane opened, and the “Grasp Supply” info is already crammed in (because it already existed).
There are two fields out there – “Quotation Identify” and “Web page Quantity.” The “Web page Quantity” area is what seems within the ensuing supply quotation. I believe the “Quotation Identify” is to assist the consumer keep in mind what the quotation is for.
On the display screen above, I typed into the “Web page Quantity” area the details about Abraham Seaver’s memorial – the cemetery, the city and state, his identify and memorial quantity. The ensuing Footnote, Quick Footnote and Bibliography textual content seems within the backside of the “Add Quotation” pane. I might click on on the carat to the correct of the “Quotation Element textual content, media, and so on.” line and fill in additional info, however I normally do not try this. I added info to the High quality fields additionally (not proven above – scroll down on the correct facet)..
5) After clicking “Shut” (on the backside of the right-hand pane), the “Sources” pane appeared once more with one supply quotation on the listing, and a “pen” icon within the Supply column of the left-hand pane as proven beneath:
Nevertheless, Abraham’s Burial document on Discover A Grave had details about his demise date and place, his delivery date and place, and his identify. I would like so as to add this supply quotation to these Details on the left-hand pane.
6) To “Memorize” the supply quotation so I can use it once more, I must click on on the correct arrow/carat within the right-hand pane for the precise supply quotation proven beneath:
Once I click on on the arrow/carat, it opens the “Edit quotation” display screen and the “Memorize this supply” icon is within the higher right-hand nook:
7) I then go to the Truth the place I wish to add this quotation – so utilizing the Dying Truth I click on on the Dying Supply icon and click on on “Paste quotation” I see:
By clicking on the “Paste copy” button on the “Paste Memorized Quotation” pane, I can add the Burial quotation to the Dying Truth for Abraham Seaver. The opposite alternative is to “Reuse Quotation” which I take advantage of so as to add the identical quotation to a different Discover A Grave supply once I wish to change the Quotation Element.” The latter use is new to RootsMagic 8, I believe.
8) Right here is the completed Dying Truth pane:
As you’ll be able to see, the Discover Grave supply quotation is now within the “Sources” pane for the Dying Truth. I did the identical course of for the Beginning Truth and the Individual Truth for Abraham Seaver.
9) That course of appears cumbersome as a result of there may be a whole lot of clicking however not a lot typing. I believe it’s extra “clicky” than in RootsMagic 7, however the end result is identical. When you get used to utilizing the icons as a substitute of clicking buttons, the method is fairly fast. This was a serious change to my workflow.
As I famous in Submit #2, the variations between RootsMagic 7 and RootsMagic 8 take a while tolearn the way to regulate your workflow and you need to do these duties a number of occasions to get used to doing it as a result of, should you’re utilizing RM8, that is the way you do it.
Disclosure: I’ve been a paying buyer of RootsMagic family tree software program since about 2006, and bought RootsMagic 8 as an improve bundle again in 2020.
The URL for this publish is:
Copyright (c) 2021, Randall J. Seaver
Please touch upon this publish on the web site by clicking the URL above after which the “Feedback” hyperlink on the backside of every publish. Share it on Twitter, Fb, or Pinterest utilizing the icons beneath. Or contact me by electronic mail at email@example.com.