The Farwell Household e book offers a brief life story of Joseph Farwell.
Joseph Farwell was born 24 July 1670 in Chelsmford, Massachusetts, the eldest son and second baby of Joseph and Hannah (Rolfe) Farwell[1-3].
Joseph married Hannah Colburn (1673-1741) of Chelmsford on 23 January 1695/6 in Chelmsford[1,4]. She was the daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Colburn) Rolfe. That they had ten kids, all born and recorded in Chelmsford:
* Joseph Farwell (1696-1772), married 1719 Mary Gilson (1703-1774).
* Thomas Farwell (1698-1731), married 1723 Elizabeth Pierce (1698-????).
* Hannah Farwell (1701-1762), married (1) 1719 Eleazer Gilson (1695-1754); (2) 1755 Ephraim Sawtell (1685-1768).
* Elizabeth Farwell (1703-1762), married 1722 John Stone (1699-1784).
* Edward Farwell (1706-1775), married 1728 Hannah Russell (1708-1775).
* Mary Farwell (1709-1804), married 1726 James Stone (1702-1783).
* John Farwell (1711-1771), married (1) 1735 Jane Lakin (1715-1755); (2) 1755 Susanna White (1735-????).
* Samuel Farwell (1714-1757), married 1737 Elizabeth Moors (1719-1797).
* Daniel Farwell (1717-1808), married 1739 Mary Moore (1718-1800).
* Sarah Farwell (1721-1721).
Joseph Farwell had obtained his full share of his father’s property by the point his father wrote his will in 1711, in all probability by reward of land.
Joseph Farwell resided for a number of years after his marriage in Chelmsford, after which eliminated to Groton. He bought land in Groton on 27 April 1699, when he’s described as of Chelmsford. Joseph and his father, Ensign Joseph Farwell, bought the land of Captain James Parker of Groton. He was a farmer. Joseph and Hannah Farwell had been members of the church in Groton.
Joseph Farwell died 20 August 1740 in Groton, Massachusetts[1,3,5]. He’s buried within the Outdated Burying Floor in Groton, Massachusetts. The inscription on his headstone says:
Right here lies buried
ye physique of Mr.
August ye twentieth
Age 70 years
Joseph died intestate, and his heirs settled his property by deeds amongst themselves. His widow conveyed her dower rights in Joseph’s property to her son Joseph Farwell on 10 March 1740/1.